Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy 80th Birthday Grand Mommy

Grand Mommy & Grand Daddy up in Estes Park, Colorado.

Grand mommy holding her 2nd Great grandchild - Cooper.

Grand Mommy - I love you! You hold a special place in my heart. Since I was little, I remember you and Dad were always a part of our lives. You were "room mother" for me during my elementary school days. You always signed up to take my friends on field trips. You attended all my choir concerts in Junior High and High School. You attended all my basketball games. You went to every "Open House" each year at school.

My special memories were when you surprised me and all my Camp Fire Girl friends for my 12th birthday party. You signed me up for Bible Memory Association and encouraged me to memorize countless scripture verses. Having never traveled much outside of Texas, you allowed me to live in Chicago and study at Moody. You have become quite the "traveler" over the past 3 decades. Glenn and I have enjoyed making arrangements for you to visit us in Bolivia, now in Guatemala and then many places across the USA.

I think one thing that is special is that you take a special interest in our friends. Our friends have become your friends. Thank you for this unique quality.

I am grateful that you "potty trained" Ellen, Karen and Gary. Thank you. You have kept the kids when they were younger, took them shopping, to church and to the park. You have taken special interest in our kids. Thank you.

Although you never placed a long distance phone call (1.00 a minute back in the 70's) to me at college (except for my birthday), you faithfully wrote me a snail mail letter every week while I lived 1,000 miles from home at Moody. I guess that is why I have enjoyed writing to you since we have been on the mission field these past 25 years.

Mom, you are always trying out new recipes. I remember the "tiered wedding cakes" you would make for me for my birthdays. Chicken and Dumplings and strawberry short cake are our family favorites that you make. You are the best cook in the world.

I always remember you staying up late at night writing thank you notes, encouragement cards or sympathy notes. You are constantly taking over peanut brittle, banana cake or fresh peaches to those friends who are sick or in the hospital. You truly love others and I know others truly love you. I hope you get the picture that you are loved.

Mom you are loved. I love you!

Judy
PS I never know who reads my blog/facebook. But if you have met my family, please send my mom a birthday wish. The email address is dadmarr2@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment