Monday, October 27, 2008

Al and Gladys Platt

Al and Gladys Platt and daughter Brendy -

I have known Al and Gladys for over 30 years. I first met the Platts back in 1973, when I traveled to Guatemala with the High School youth group from Northwest Bible church in Dallas. This was my FIRST exposure to missions. And I loved it. I loved the Platts enthusiasm for missions.

I distinctively remember meeting the Platts who worked at the SETECA seminary in Guatemala City. I remember the youth taking a bus trip to Antigua and walking around the ruins in this old city. As Al gave us the tour of the convent, cathedral or even monastery, I remember asking him, "Do you dream in Spanish?" and his response was "Well, yes of course!" I thought to myself, "I'll never be able to dream in Spanish" and sure enough I haven't. :)

Al was the President of CAM (then Central America Mission) when Glenn rode his bicycle from Dallas to Colombia, SA, in 1976. Not only was CAM supportive of that ministry trip but Glenn and Ben Bakker had CAM missionary contacts throughout Central America.

I have always appreciated Al's sense of humor, quick wit and genuine love for the ministry. Our paths have crossed over the years through mission conferences at NBC and now that we are CAM pastoral care folks, our paths cross more often. I enjoy calling Al on the phone and getting an update on his family. And I love it when we can minister to folks in person.

Most recently, Glenn and I stopped by Newton, Kansas to personally visit the Platts and pray with them. Pray for Al who is the care-giver for his wife Gladys who is undergoing chemo again as well as caring for Brendy. Pray for Gladys as she receives help from others. And Pray for Brendy who is sad to see her mom struggle with cancer.

I count it a privilege to know the Platts and appreciate their ministry with CAM and RGBI over the years. Will you pray for the Platts with me today?

Judy

1 comment:

  1. I recall dreaming in Spanish during my months in language study a few years ago. I was always told this was a sign of growing fluency...it was actually just a part of growing frustration! In my dreams everyone was speaking in Spanish...and I had no idea what they were saying! I was frustrated during the day in Spanish classes and frustrated in my sleep with "Spanish-dreams!" So...don't be too disappointed if you don't have them! lol

    ReplyDelete