Friday, July 17, 2015

So This is What the New 40 Looks Like

My friend, Sidney Jean, turns 60 today.
Happy Birthday!
 

We have been friends since 1968 when I first starting going to the small Baptist church down the alley from my parents house.  We were in youth group together.  Pioneer girls.  We sang in the High school  and church choir together and we were even in the same Pep Ralley Squad together. I rode on my yellow Schwinn bike with her around White Rock Lake.  Countless times.  Always stopping at Rudy and Pearl's house.

After High school, our paths went two different ways.  Sidney went to college in Canada.  Got married.  Had 2 girls.  I went to college in Chicago.  Got married.  Had 3 kids. Moved to South America.

Then Facebook was invented.  We got re-connected - as if we had not been disconnected for so many years.  Although the years have passed, we've gotten older and we've moved on, we picked up just where we left off.

Today is Sidney's birthday.  She is 60 years old.  This is my first childhood "older" friend to turn 60.  
But I'm reminded that "60 is the NEW 40".

  I can always remember her birthday, because she shares it with another famous person.  Mickey Mouse.  60 years ago today, the theme park Disneyland in Anaheim, California opened its gates.  Happy Birthday to Mickey,
 but most especially, 

Happy Birthday to my friend, Sidney!

No comments:

Post a Comment