Saturday, July 25, 2015

A Labor of Love


Yesterday was Ellen's 33rd birthday.  I started reflecting on what happened 33 years ago.  So, I sent Ellen a long email describing the delivery and some memories I had.  Ellen called me later in the day and expressed her appreciation to me for sharing those special events with her.  She made observations about visiting hours in the hospital and the choices of names we went through.  She encouraged me to share them on my blog.  Enjoy.


Dear Ellen,

It is 7:41am Dallas time.  33 years ago RIGHT NOW, you were born.  July 24, 1982.  Saturday.  An EVEN NUMBER! 

I remember the night so very clearly.  Your due date was July 19.  It was a hot summer.  We were living at 434 Hawthorne in Grand Prairie (grandma and grandpa's house). I was wearing my favorite RED maturity dress that I wore during your pregnancy and Karen's pregnancy.   {Editor's note: Left a sentence out here per Ellen's request.}   At 10pm the labor pains began. Dad was very deliberate in writing down the times and how long the contractions were. 
 
At about 1:30am, we got into my white '78 Mustang and drove towards downtown Dallas and to Baylor Hospital.  I remember having to wait a long time for Dad to register me into the hospital system.  They checked my vitals and started monitoring me.

The nurses called Dr. Bristow and told him my progress.  I thought for sure he would head to the hospital immediately, however, he only showed up about 20 minutes before you were delivered.

The hospital room was very plain looking, nothing like they are today.  I remember asking for something to drink, specifically a 7-11 Slurpee.  But all I could have was just some small ice cubes to suck on.  I wanted a Slurpee.  (Side note: Immediately after the delivery and once I got settled into my hospital room, Dad dashed down to the local 7-11 store to purchase a Coke Slurpee).

We called Grandmommy and GrandDaddy and they arrived at the hospital around 4:00am.  You know them, they wanted to be in on the fun.

The delivery went normal.  The nurses wheeled me into the delivery room just after 7am in the morning and you were born at 7:41am.  We heard a sweet cry and they announced "Its a girl".

I had tears of joy.  I was crying hard.  Deep down in my heart, I really wanted a little girl and I got it.  We picked the name Ellen Kay.  Kay for after my middle name.  And Ellen, just because we liked it.   We had gone back and forth between the name Leslie and Emily too.   Dad didn't like the name Leslie, because he had a boss (man) named Les or Leslie.  And we didn't chose Emily because there was 6month old at GPBC with that name.  There was a young person in the NBC youth-group, Ellen F. with the name "Ellen" and I thought to myself at the age 16 "That is a beautiful name, I need to remember it when I start naming my babies."

Soon after the delivery and checking all your vitals, the doctors and nurses noted that you were having trouble breathing. Evidently you swallowed too much amniotic fluid during birth.   You were placed in the NICU/neonatal intensive-care unit.  

It was customary in those days for new mothers and their infant to stay in the hospital for 3 nights.  So, we were allowed to stay 'til Wednesday morning.  However, since you were in the NICU, you needed to stay one extra night.  The administration said I could go home on Wednesday morning and return on Thursday to pick you up.  We decided to stay an extra night so I could be with you longer and leave at the same time you were discharged.  I didn't mind staying in the hospital an extra night, because I knew after this, my life was changing forever, having a sweet little girl in my arms.

The nurses that attended to me were very nice.  One specifically reminded me of the Lady Doctor that was in Father of the Bride 2.  My friend, Carol K. from Moody was a current nurse working at Baylor (her husband was a Dallas Theological Seminary student) and she visited me in the hospital. Also Dr John and Martha Binion visited.

I wasn't able to start nursing you right away because of you being in the NICU, but after 2 days of you sleeping under the oxygen tent, you were wheeled into the normal baby nursery.  I remember walking down the hall in the long coral color night gown and robe and looking through the glass into the baby nursery.  You were by far the most beautiful baby.  You were a beautiful baby.  Nice color skin.  Hair, not too much.  You looked beautiful in the color blue too.

The nurses would wheel you into my hospital room 2 or 3 times a day. You caught on to nursing right away.  Interesting fact, during those days, the infants were not in the room when the visitors were there.

Grandmommy and GrandDaddy stayed most of the day at the hospital.  Aunt B and her sister, Nancy came to see me.  Don and Janie Reeves were there too.  I'm sure there were others. Visiting hours were from 1 - 2pm and from 7-8 pm.  Very strict hours.  You had to be over the age 12 to come up the elevators and see the new moms.   We got lots of flowers and gifts.  GPBC had given us a Baby Shower several weeks before at Dick and Shirley Perkin's house.  We got a stroller, Car seat and Infant carrier.  


When we left the hospital 4 days later, I had you wear a baby pink dress that I wore when I was an infant.  I think I gave you that dress before Emily was born.  Pink smock dress.

So that is YOUR birth story.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Ellen!
 
Love, Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment