Thursday, July 30, 2015

Glenn's 60th Birthday

On Sunday Glenn celebrated his 60th birthday.  I absolutely had nothing planned special for him.  He knew that.  However, we made it special anyway.

We decided to drive 45 minutes away to the Santa Domingo Hotel in Antigua and have a leisurely breakfast at the Sunday Buffet.  We had never been there for breakfast before.  Wow!  It was delicious.  We sat at the table and slowly worked through specialty omelets and crepes made to order, fruit of all kinds, café con leche, etc., all of which were delicious. This turned out to be our brunch.

We sat at the table watching the FaceBook Birthday greetings.  Our children had a special 'posting' of 60 things that they are thankful for about their dad.  

Read their post here or read below.

Words cannot adequately describe what a great husband, father, friend, servant, and leader you are. Here is our attempt (your kids and their spouses) to appreciate and honor you on your special day.
 
1. I have such fun memories of staying up late playing Rook in Samaipata. - Ellen
2. I like how you make Pirate’s Eyes quite delicious. - Karen
3. The time you taught me to ride a bike. - Gary
4. The times you’ve visited us in Nicaragua on my birthday and bought Pops Ice Cream. - Luke
5. I like watching “Spies Like Us” with you.  - Thomas
6. The time you took us out to eat when visiting KC. - Gary and Madison
7. I like how you would frequently pick me up from Iglesia Bautista Biblia Abierta when I was heavily involved with the Deaf ministry. - Karen
8. I loved when you would take me to McDonald’s for breakfast or to a donut shop on the way to school when I was in 2nd grade. - Ellen
9. The time we worked on my scooter I had for a bit. - Gary
10. Talking football with you and watching games on TV together. - Luke
11. I love how much you love Judy and will do anything for her.  - Thomas
12. I loved going to make airport runs with you in Bolivia. - Karen
13. The time you bought us a gift card to a restaurant for our anniversary. - Gary and Madison
14. I love hearing stories about growing up in Mexico or your days at Moody. - Ellen
15. I like how you crossed yourself whenever the Trinity was invoked at an Orthodox church service.  - Thomas
16. The times you took me to go flying in the Cessna. - Gary
17. The time you drove a group of us up to Volcán Pacaya. - Luke
18. I blame you for my addiction to Wendy’s Frostys. I agree, chocolate is the only flavor it should come in! - Karen
19. The time you taught me to curve a soccer ball. - Gary
20. I like riding bikes in Colorado with you.  - Thomas
21. I always think of you when I watch movies involving lots of stunts/action of cars and planes. I think “If Dad was watching this he would tell me exactly why this situation is scientifically, aerodynamically (or whatever) completely unrealistic.” - Ellen
22. The time you took me to the river to go 4-wheeling. - Gary
23. I like how you take Snickers out to go potty when you come to visit. - Karen
24. Always saving the little "free" stuff hotels provide. - Luke
25. The time you fell down the stairs at the Blakely’s house. - Gary and Madison
26. The cruise was the best vacation we’ve ever been on. I’m so glad you convinced Judy to go. Fun times!  - Thomas
27. The time you allowed me to drive the Toyota truck and I got it stuck in the sand. - Gary
28. The time we played chess on a life size chess board in Guatemala. - Luke
29. The time you rescued me when my clutch gave out. - Gary
30. I loved traveling with you to Guatemala for Christmas of ’14. Such a fun time! You made me a giraffe out of cardboard tubes left over from wrapping paper. - Karen
31.That time when I was in first grade and you super-glued my lunch box back together after I had dropped it while riding on your motorcycle with you. - Ellen
32. The times you took me to the junk yards to pull parts for cars. - Gary
33. The time we waited out the rain at the gas station while on motorcycles in Nicaragua. - Luke
34. I love the sound of your breathing machine that lulls me to sleep at night.  zzzzzz  - Thomas
35. The time you rescued me from the roof of the 3rd house. - Gary
36. I loved that you and mom came to Dallas for our marriage ceremony on November 13th …and the dinner afterwards. Very special. - Karen
37. You can always rig up something in any situation. - Ellen
38. The time we rented mopeds in Honduras. - Luke
39. The time we fixed up a car with cardboard and duct tape. - Gary
40. The time we drove to Houston at 2 am to deliver a bed in Granddaddy’s pickup. - Gary
41. I like how you drove us to various Orthodox churches in Colorado.  - Thomas
42. I loved having you get me saltenas as a treat during mid-morning. - Karen
43. The times you taught me all about cars. - Gary
44. I remember helping you at the SAM base during the summer of ’98. I would answer phones, make copies, and pay solitaire. It granted me such secretarial organizational skills I carry on into the present life. - Karen
45.The time we had to stay at the Base several days because our road was too flooded for our truck to make it back home. - Ellen
46. The times we use to play soccer on the xbox. - Gary
47. I liked creating Karen’s Kitchen and making everything out of potatoes because that’s all that we had. ‘This Spuds for you” was an item. - Karen
48. I’m so glad you taught me to play guitar and that we share a love for music. - Ellen
49. The time you painted the H on the Passport for me. - Gary
50. Always looking for ways to fix up stuff in our house or car. - Luke
51. I like helping you make Judy happy with doing the letterboxing and following clues.  - Thomas
52. The infamous chairs you attached on top of our truck. - Ellen
53.The time you haggled the price down of the repair for the 4-wheeler. - Gary
54. I loved that you and mom drove all over Guatemala trying to find me that Orthodox orphanage. 
We finally found it! Maybe next time I’ll go in and visit. - Karen
55.  The time we camped out in the tree house at SAM base. - Gary
56. I like how you make changes in your own schedule to accommodate our need for church. - Thomas
57.  If there is a way to find a pun in a situation, you usually say it. - Luke  
58. The time you allowed me to take the Cessna simulator home to play with. - Gary
59. I loved that you took me to the Orthodox church in Guatemala City on Christmas day. - Karen
60. I’m so thankful for how patient you were with me in middle school when I was in tears over math. - Ellen
WE LOVE YOU, DAD!  Happy 60th Birthday!

Thank you Ellen and Luke for putting this together for Dad.  

Thank you Karen, Thomas, Gary and Madison for being a part of this beautiful message of love for Dad. 

We laughed, we cried, and smiled as we read how you are thankful for your Dad. 

 Happy Birthday, Glenn.


No comments:

Post a Comment