Saturday, November 09, 2013

Saying Goodbye


Several weeks ago, I made a concerted effort to contact a good friend, Ron Baker.  He had sent me an email saying he was praying for us after Glenn's recent heart attack.  I tried several days by email, skype and texting to connect with Ron.  
No luck.


Finally on Friday morning an unfamiliar voice answered the phone.  It was the neighbor across the street.  Sadly, she announced that Ron had had a heart attack the day before.  She handed the phone to Marcia but she was still very confused and very much in shock.

Several days later, Ron died.

My memories:
  • Ron was one of 3 team leaders in 1977 when I travelled with 50 other young people  through Mexico and Central America 
  • He teased me constantly
  • I got iPhone lessons and learned about his favorite apps
  • Ron had genuine concern for the Guatemalan brothers with whom he worked
  • You could count on him remembering important dates in our lives and the lives of others. He would contact all of us by a phone call or note
  • Joking, teasing, laughing
  • The Bakers helped me survive a 2 week experience of Wycliffe Bible Translators' Jungle Camp in southern Mexico
  • Ron had a tiny mustache comb he would pull out and use to get a laugh
  • He certainly had a big heart for people
  • Ron and Marica were always together and would often be color coordinated
  • He had genuine love for others and especially his sweet wife, Marcia 
  

Last year, we had a team meeting with the 3 new families who were heading to Guatemala.  We invited Ron and Marcia to join us at Spring-Creek Bar-B-Que to share his Guatemalan experiences with the "rookies". 

Ron was constantly telling me that I had such a cute grandson.  So back in June, I took my mom and 2 year old David to the Bakers' Mesquite house.  David loved meeting his new friend.

I am thankful for
  • Ron and Marcia's 35+ years influence in the Stewart family
  • Their ministry with Camino Global (formerly CAM International and Central America Mission) 
  • Most important, his BIG, BIG heart that he had for God, the folks with whom he served, his family and for his friends....and he had a LOT of them.
 ~J

No comments:

Post a Comment