Friday, October 08, 2010

Breaking News

 My Rescuers

Last Tuesday Glenn and I started to walk the trail from Bear Lake to Bierstadt Lake here in Rocky Mountain National Park.  We were enjoying our casual walk until I lodged my left foot between 2 rocks and took a tumble.

After the tumble we couldn't believe that we had cell phone coverage.  We called 911 and they transferred us to the Park Ranger.  A couple along the trail came upon us and Bob returned to the Trail Head to get help.



After the Rangers arrived they checked my vitals and started prepping me for the long journey down the mountain side.  These guys were my heros.  I was put in this basket like stretcher, and then the 4 guys lifted me down the trail.  The basket had a huge wheel attached to the bottom of it making it easier for the guys to carry me on the rocky trail.

  The results:
1 broken ankle and torn legiments

On Wednesday morning I had surgery and 1 plate and 7 pins were installed in my left ankle and leg bone.  
The results:
Stay off of my left ankle COMPLETELY for the next 4-6 weeks I will eventually get a boot to put on my leg/ankle/foot.
It has been a unique week to say the least ~we were not contemplating the fall and the broken ankle.

~J

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you broke your ankle. Ouch! Praise God for people that can rescue us. I know Glenn has been great through your trauma. Keep your chin up...our at least your foot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, do I feel your pain. Did the same thing three years ago. Do your armpits and chest muscles kill from using crutches? POOR JUDY!!!

    ReplyDelete