Friday, September 18, 2009

7 Layer Casserole



Its been 9 years since I've made this dish. Why? Because I always made the 7 layer casserole in the dish that I got as a wedding present, but it broke in our move from Bolivia back to the states. And as a creature of habit, I couldn't make it in a different Pyrex. So, I didn't.

My kids can testify that we had this simple dish at least 3 times a week, while they were growing up. (You know, it was a balanced meal:) I think my kids dislike the dish now because I used to cook it so often. I could get all the ingredients and it was simple to make. Note recipe at the bottom.

~J

Layer the 7 items in the following order in a greased casserole dish

1/2 C uncooked rice
1 can of corn (drained)
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 can of tomato sauce
1 lb. of ground beef (not cooked)
1 can of tomato sauce

Cook at 350 degrees (not centigrade:) for 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm...seems like only 6 items with one of them coming twice. does that REALLY count as 7 items? Or did you mean to type something other than tomato sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan,
    Its not 7 ingrediants, its 7 layers...emphesis on the word layer.
    You use the tomato sauce twice!
    happy Eatting.
    I just proofread the article....and NO, I did't cook it 3 times a week. That should have been 3 times a month. My proofreader (aka Glenn) missed that!
    J

    ReplyDelete