Tuesday, October 31, 2006


FRIDAY, OCT 20
We traveled over to Antigua (former Capital of all Central America, years ago)and conducted our last meeting at a privately owned orphanage. This was all All Girls home. 2 girls in our group were pregnant. We did the same routine. Sang songs, divided up into our teams and did our VBS type program. As we were working with the girls, I struck up a conversation with 2 of the girls. One had just arrived at the orphanage just 3 days before. The other girl mentioned that her best friend was in another group. As normal, they loved having their picture taken with the digital camera. And I was able to show them the picture we took. And as normal, each girl in our group got their "goodies", however, since our girls were just a tad bit older, like pre-teens, we gave them earrings, watches, some hairbands, deodorant and other items like that. The girls really appreciated us taking the time to come and visit them.

For lunch, we ate at the 5 Star hotel, Santo Domingo. I had never been there before, but it was just gorgeous. The food was great too. The group sang "Happy Birthday" to me. I was hopeing that Glenn, Ellen and Gary would make it in time for lunch, but they were stuck in traffic coming out of Guatemala City. We met up with G,E and G at the Central Market. I helped with translation for the team members as they shopped. Then we drove on home. Before leaving Antigua, we stopped to see the Phillippi.

For the evening, there was a closing banquet at Quinta Real. Marimba Music. Beautiful. And then our last good byes. I also got the Moody Alumni group together so for a photo op.

In summary, I appreciate the opportunity to travel with WMBI and the Buckner Orphanage group. It was a very eye opening experience, as I saw abandon children, sad children and children that need to the love of God. I will always be grateful for the opportunity I had to share the Love of Christ with the Guatemalan children.

No comments:

Post a Comment