Thursday, February 11, 2021

Grandma Vi

Glenn’s step-mom, Viola Reimer Stewart passed away on February 1. She is loved and will be missed.


Vi served many years with the Mexico Branch of Wycliffe Bible Translator as a nurse and translator. Her partner was Vola Grist while working on the Otomi translation project. She also contributed to the low German translation of the Bible and worked some in the Canadian office. In 1994 she married Don Stewart and was married to him until his homegoing in 2008.
She will be missed by a brother and sister, nieces and nephews, step-son
Glenn Stewart
and step-daughter
Sarah Stewart Barger
&, 3 step-grandchildren
Ellen Rosenberger
,
Karen Elizabeth Bartz
and
Gary Stewart
along with their spouses, plus 7 step-great-grandchildren.

I couldn't express it better than what Karen and Ellen wrote on their FaceBook walls.  {with their permission}

Karen wrote:



Karen Elizabeth Bartz
 is feeling sad.




Ellen wrote:
Viola Stewart, age 90, went home to Heaven on February 1, 2021, the one year birthday of her 7th great-grandchild. Grandma Vi, as we affectionately called her, became my grandma when I was in the fifth grade. I love to tell people that my grandma got married for the first time at 64 years of age and when she married my grandpa she not only gained a husband, but also two children and three grandchildren!
She was a woman of strength, joy, adventure, and active love. My first grandma passed away when I was in second grade and I have limited memories of her. Grandma Vi very graciously and seamlessly filled the role of Grandma for my siblings and I (while at the same time still honoring the memory of my first Grandma, whom she also had known and loved).
The memories that stick out to me of Grandma Vi are: her famous Rice Crispy Treat bars, how she was always on the lookout for a good deal in the Target clearance section (she would get kids’ clothes for practical pennies and donate them), her contagious laugh, her making hats and scarves to send to those in need, and especially her pure and simple love for my Grandpa which included laughing at his corny jokes. I’m thankful she got to be my second grandma and I’m thankful for the love she brought to our family. I'm even more thankful I'll get to see her again when we are both Home together.


Thank you Grandma Vi for being a great grandmother for our 3 kids. You held that job wonderfully. And you will be missed.

Judy and Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment