Monday, June 26, 2017

My Friend Jan

I still can't believe it.  I froze in my tracks when Glenn announced that our boss's wife died 3 days after open heart surgery.  She died on Mother's Day.  Jon's response was "Well, she died peacefully and woke up in heaven to see her own mother.  Wow, what a Mother's Day present!"

Glenn and I decided it was most important for us to trek up to Michigan to attend Jan's memorial service, honor her life and support the family.  We wanted to be there for Jonathan, and to be honest, to be there for ourselves as well.

  Jon and Jan have been such a tremendous blessing in our lives and ministry.


Jan was only 73 years old.  She and Jon celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last summer.   Jon gave a 19 minute eulogy during the service.  I don't know how he did that.  Tears flowed down my face.

Jan was just so S.W.E.E.T! 

 She always had a smile on her face, although I know she lived with lots of physical pain.  It was painful for me to watch her walk and drag her feet across the room.

I wouldn't say we were super close, but I do know that she was able to ask the right questions, quietly and purposely assert her perspective and leave you with a smile and a sense of peace.

Jan grew up on the farm in Southern Michigan and it was special for us to experience her home and old stomping grounds.  There were several Camino missionary families that were able to attend the service, some as far away as Texas, Honduras and Mexico.

Jan's sisters and dear friend, Sandi, sang a special song, "Finally Home."



After the service, in typical small town community fashion, the family and church served a pot-luck luncheon.  Lots of memories, stories and laughs were exchanged around the tables as we celebrated Jan's life.

Jon with daughters, Heather and Mary and their families.
When we left the church in North Adams, Michigan we then headed to the old farm house - where Jan grew up.

"But just think of stepping on shore-And finding it Heaven!
Of touching a hand-And finding it God's!
Of breathing new air-And finding it celestial!
Of waking up in glory-And finding it home!"  by Wyrtzen

See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment