Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Losses, Good Grief!!

Losses, are a part of life.  
Normally, when I think of loss, I think of death.  
Grief. 
But there are different degrees of loss.  Yes, there is death.  But there is loss when someone moves away and we don't have that day to day contact.  There is the loss of memory, which I experience when I see my mom's Alzheimer's disease take over.

Recently, Glenn and I have experienced several types of Losses.  We lost a missionary family that relocated back into the USA.  There is the loss of seeing my mother's health and memory getting worse and worse over the course of time.  We experience various levels of loss when friends move in and out of our lives.  A few weeks ago there was the loss of a volunteer who had flown down to Guatemala to help out with our conference by taking care of 4, 5 and 6 year olds, only to find out that soon after he returned back to the US he suffered a heart attack and died suddenly.  Then there was the loss of Ellen's choir director's wife who died suddenly several months ago.

Tarwater Family

Last week, we piled into 2 large vans with their 10 pieces of checked luggage and 19 pieces of hand-carry items and various strollers and drove the Tarwater family of 10 to the Guatemala City airport to say our goodbyes and send them off to their next adventure.  This family had become close to us and our team here in Guatemala.  They're flexible and didn't mind Glenn and I "popping" in on them.  We would steal a couple of kids on occasion and take them with us to run errands.  We would sit around the table to tell jokes.  We loved the spontaneity of the family.  Now, we pray for their new missionary adventure at Rio Grande Bible Institute.  Watch out Tarwater family, we will come and visit you in South Texas.

(get it, Adios Tar - glass of water?)

 
My Mom
My mom was in the hospital last week with some minor challenges to her heart.  She is doing better now.  The doctors didn't find anything.  That is the good news.  But Mom doesn't even remember that she was in Presbyterian Hospital.  I guess that could be a good thing also.  But I feel a loss when I see mom's memory fading and fading.  She still remembers me.  Today that is.  Tomorrow?  I don't know.


Bobby Cantrell 
Bobby and his wife Debby, traveled with a team of volunteers from Lake Jackson, Texas just last month to help with childcare for the 4's, 5's, and 6 year old missionary children during our annual conference.  Bobby was a tremendous blessings to the kids and their families as he and his wife creatively cared for the children.  He got down on the floor and played with them.  He told stores, did crafts and sang with them.  Then suddenly, soon after returning home, the Lord took him to his Heavenly Home.  Our hearts are heavy.  This is a loss for his family and his friends.



Billie Sue Thompson
Ellen and I recently attended the Memorial Service for Billie Sue Thompson.  She was the 'heart-beat' for the WCC at Moody.  Her husband was the choir  director and hundreds of women appreciated her genuine and kind personality.  She was well loved by many.  Although saddened by her 'homegoing', Ellen and I were blessed to attend the memorial service and honor her. 
 Click here for my earlier blog.  
Yet another loss.

In Summary,
I'm thankful for Life
For Family.
For Friends.
For friends who move.
For Friends who have impacted my life and the lives of those I love.

I don't like the feeling of loss.  I don't like grieving.  I hate it.  That is the season that Glenn and I are walking through.
~J

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for you guys!!! YOU made our time in Guatemala so much more enjoyable. You traveled ALL the WAY out to our house, across the lake. Babysat our kids so we could go on a date, housed us numerous times....ect. You guys are still popping in on us. LOVED having you guys over for lunch a few weeks ago!!
    Praying for you and this 'new' season of life you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate grief, too. I'm sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete