Friday, January 24, 2014

I Hate to Read


Reading was NEVER a part of my Life.

Let's get down right to it.  I hate to read.  I have never enjoyed it.  I was never encouraged as a young child to read.  That's ok.  I pursued other interests such as school and church activities.  When I had a reading assignment in college, I would "knock" it off first to finish the task quickly.  I didn't like it lingering over me.

I NEVER encouraged my kids to read.
Oh, I would read them bed-time stories.  I would help them with their Awana verses and school projects.  I'm sad that I didn't encourage them more.

However, I do need to give myself some credit.

Since my recent major surgery before Christmas, I have picked up several novels by Karen Kingsbury, reading This Side of Heaven and Remember Tuesday Morning.


I enjoyed the books! Maybe I'll pick up some other books.

I just completed my 25th year of "One Year Bible Reading" plan.  I was sitting in our home church during our first furlough year, when Michael challenged folks to read through the Bible in a year.  I didn't stop with that year, but have continued for 24 more years.  That was back in 1989. I would sign my name and year at the end of each day entry.

Now I use the reading plan on my iphone.  YouVersion

Believe it or not, each year as I read through the Bible, I discover something new.  Something different.  Something challenging.

 Psalms 119:105  Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment