Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cultural Difficulties

Last week, Glenn and I stopped at the New McDonalds in San Lucas, Guatemala.  San Lucas is between Guatemala City and Antigua.  The Gates, a new mall being built in San Lucas, just opened recently.  This mall looks very nice.

As I sat there, looking at the many Guatemalans who were eating their McNuggets or Big Macs, I looked off to the side and noticed that this particular restaurant has the Coke Machine set up where folks would serve themselves.  I immediately thought, "I think that is a new concept for some of the Guatemalans".

Sure enough, my theory was proven correct.  Here was a lady with her tray of food and empty paper coke cup in her hand.  She was puzzled.  She was pulling on the nozzle like milking a cow and no drink came out.  She pushed the nozzle up. She twisted it. No luck.  Finally an employee came to her rescue and showed her how to push on the silver stick behind.  Waaaa Laaa.  Coke!




No comments:

Post a Comment