Tuesday, May 06, 2008



Pacific Ocean in Guatemala - Hot Dark Black Volcanic Sand Beach



Last month we were honored to have our nephew, Kyle (that's my brother, Ronnie's son), here for a 2 week visit. Kyle had never traveled overseas before, so this was a new experience for him. He was able to help out with the teenage program during the CAM Conference with Chad Alexander.



Just 2 days before Kyle was to fly back to the USA, he and Glenn came back home from running some errands in the city. It was 2:30pm in the afternoon. I was up in my office working on the CAM Birthday cards and addressing them. Glenn mentioned that Kyle had never seen the ocean. He hadn't been to the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic or Pacific. Glenn asked if I would ponder the idea of driving down to the coast. I looked at my watch. At 3pm we were in the van heading South to the Pacific Coast.



As we drove 2 hours towards the beach, I called my friend Daphne who had recently related her experience at a local hotel on the beach. She gave me the directions and we headed towards Monterico. The sand was black and hot - black because of the volcanoes in the area. The ocean current/waves are very strong. Foolishly, I waded out into the ocean and the first blast of water hit my face and my glasses got torn off my face...a lesson learned. We enjoyed our time at the beach and saw a completely different part of Guatemalan culture than where we live.

Judy Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment