Sunday, June 16, 2019

Day 20 Eminence, MO - Farmington, MO

Day 20 Eminence, MO - Farmington, MO
Miles 90
Hills climbed - way too many to count
Tears shed - Caroline did a 17% grade!


Around 3am in the morning, I woke up with chills.  I was shivering.  I felt like I needed to vomit.  But I had a slight fever and it broke.  Glenn went back to sleep and I slept until 5:45am,  I did not go to breakfast until it was nearly over.  I got a paper plate and put some biscuits and gravy on it and gave it to Glenn to eat.  Glenn was putting the final touches on the packing and loading up the van.  Since it was decided that we would drive out of the Cold Water Ranch location and head on into town for the cyclists to start their day in town.  

However before we could pull out, Neil had a conversation with Kathy, the owner of the Cold Water Ranch.  I didn't hear the whole conversation, but I understand she was in the insurance cooperate world and decided to return to her family land.  Land that had been in their family for 8 generations.  She had built up this property where people bring their horses and take trails.  There are camping spots and cabins for rentals. And she has a nice small 3 table  restaurant that she can serve meals.

Then just about the time we could be leaving, it started to down-pour.  We heard thunder off in the distance.  It rained hard for about 10 minutes, and  then 10 minutes later it stopped.  I was in the main office part, so I was doing some emails.  I also took my daily "White Board" photo.  

Both vehicles filled up with gasoline. The cyclists were ready to go.  And Kristine had the drone in her hand.  Drone shots were the first one.  Right off the bat, the hills were frequent and steep.  I just couldn't believe they were not walking their bikes.  When I talked with Caroline later, she said "Judy, I was literally crying!"  I believe her.  During the morning, I adjusted my seat to recline and I feel asleep,

The cyclists met up with Ben C. from NorthWest Bible church, who had been in St. Louis and was able to borrow a vehicle and bike and connect up with the #ConversationsCoasttoCoasts.  Glenn first met Ben last year when he was on the Rio Hondo trip and Glenn pick him, his daughter and 2 other folks on the Sunday flight and drove them 3 hours down to Chiquemula.

We had a picnic lunch in the one and only city park of Centerville.  I think the sign said the population was under 200.  Vela and Jeff had purchased some sandwich stuff.  We sat there on the picnic table.  

I'm thankful, I'm amazed and I'm moved by the fact that we got to sit down and eat a meal on a table and not in the middle of the Mojave Desert with no shade and the back drop of a train.

The girls had to use the restroom, so we walked across the street to the only store and gasoline station in town.  We talked to a Debbie (I think that was her name) and  she allowed us to use her bathroom, which I think is connected to her house.  I bought Caroline some coke and chocolate milk.  I pointed out "hey, there are these boxes of cigarette candy that I remember as a kid".  Neil picked up on it and was going on and on about them, so Debbie said 'Happy Father's Day" and didn't ring it up. Cool! Neil then engaged a conversation with her and asked out of respect if he could film her.  She quietly denied it.  She didn't want her picture taken.  So, Jon heard that and didn't come into the store at all.  Caroline and I talked to her more and as we left, she mentioned that Neil hadn't said goodbye to her.  So, before the cyclists pulled away, Neil went back to the store and said Good bye to her.  

I slept a little more in the afternoon.  The hills were not as steep as the first half.  The roads were still curvy and winding.  Just beautiful.

The next stop was at a McDonalds for a bathroom stop and refueling in the form of ice cream.  Glenn said that for the first time, he was feeling sleeping.  He got a frappe as did i.  Everyone was sitting outside and the hot sun came out.  I offered to watch the bikes as everyone when inside to enjoy the cool airconditioning. 

There hasn't been little or no phone service in this area.  It has been frustrating when we couldn't connect.  So thankful that we had the walkie talkies to talk to Wes and the other car.

We we drove towards Farmington, Neil stopped when he saw a farmer adding diesel into his tractor.  His wife arrived in her Cadilac just as they were about to film.  I did not walk out very far into the pasture.  Man, the ground was so uneven, I didn't want to sprain my ankle.  Instead, I took pictures of the farm and water pump.

Our next stop was the Best Western near the golf course.  A nice hotel.  We unloaded the van completely except for the big box on the outside of the van.  By the time I made several trips with the cart, it was 6pm.  We got a text that we would meet in lobby at 6:15pm to head to the Catfish Kettle, just down the street a mile.  Glenn took a 2 min. shower.

As we sat and waited to be serve, a young boy, TK, came up to Neil and mentioned that he was a 26 year old survivor of cancer.  Wow.  Neil was moved.  They talked while, then I think Neil talked to his dad.  Glenn went out to the van to get a t-shirt for him and I gave him Neil's card.  

The story doesn't end here. 

After we all had eaten dinner and Jeff was about to pay for the bill, the waitress said that TK's father had paid for the meal.  All the meal except for the chocolate pie Wes had ordered.  How cool was that.  Neil was moved to tear.  Here a young man had reached out to Neal and we get to receive a blessing.  I found out later, that one of his first brain operation was performed by Dr. Ben Carson.  

Glenn and I returned to our hotel room and we went downstairs to go swimming.  I had purchased a new bathing suite while out in Los Angeles and was glad I could use it.  After the quick swim, Glenn and I did 2 loads of wash.  Now I think all of our clothes are clean for a few more days.  Glenn didn't even have his #CC2C to wear for dinner since they were both stinking!  And I"m glad I was able to finish the Blog tonight.  

I was amazed, moved and in awe of how the 3 cyclists conquered those hills.  Neil mentioned that it was so different climbing the hills because he wasn't at 7,000 feet like when he's in Colorado.  And these hills were up and down and up and down and up and down.  Day 20 is in the books.


































No comments:

Post a Comment