Friday, November 28, 2014

My first Thanksgiving away from Home

Forty years ago, 1,000 miles from home, as an 18 year old student at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, I had my first of many Thanksgiving Days away from my family and home in Dallas. 

Pamela Barden's mom gave me a ride from the downtown campus out to my home college church, Foster Ave. Baptist Church for me to stay with the Schroeders.  It was snowing that Wednesday afternoon.  The following morning, the youth had their traditional Turkey Touch - Football game.  In the snow!  That was my first snow experience!

Since then, I have been celebrating Thanksgiving more away from home than at home with family.  That is the way of the missionary life.  Now, it just feels so natural to be with friends rather than family for this traditional US holiday.  

However my friends have become family.
circa 1975 Thanksgiving weekend
back row:  Eldon Schroeder, Gary Barden, Dan Genheimer and Steve Hardy
front row:  Nancy Stevens, Ramona Schroeder and me (Judy Marr Stewart)


               Recently I read a blog about Why Missionaries can Never Go Home.  
In essence it summarizes the statement that
Missionaries live in a world where


Good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment