Saturday, November 22, 2014

Behind the Seens*


Several weeks ago, I had my yearly check-up with Dr. Bristow.

Stop, don't read any more if you don't want to read about a medical procedure.


 Dr. Bristow said it was apparent that I had a bladder infection and I need to take some oral medication for the next 7 days.  I drove over to Walgreen's, sat in the consultation area, while the Pharmacist completed my order.  Three hours later, I was on the plane heading back home to Guatemala.

Then earlier this week, I get a personal phone call from Dr. Bristow explaining that some more blood work had revealed that the oral antibiotics that I was using were not being effective and that I would need to get a different type of medication administered intramuscular.
 

I really don't have a general doctor here in Guatemala, however, Glenn went down to Cruz Verde Farmacia to see if he could buy the medication and then just have someone give me the shot.



For the past 3 nights, I have been going back to Farmacia Cruz Verde to have the nurse, Glenda, give me this special antibiotics for my bladder infection.

I'm thinking, I sure like this procedure where you can get medication off the shelf without a prescription, and I'm sure it is cheaper than the medication issued in the states.  I'm thankful for Dr. Bristow who took the time to call me here in Guatemala and suggested the correct medication. 

STEPS TO GETTING A SHOT:
1.  Find a local pharmacy that sells your medication


2.  Purchase the medication and syringes


3.  Check for a volunteer to administer the shot.  Cruz Verde has a small clinic on site and has a registered nurse to do give the shot.


4.  Give the medicine to Glenda and watch her fill the needle up.



5.  Don't cry.


6.  Watch Glenda fill the form out - also give her a propina, "tip". 

 *If you have read this far, do you understand the title of my blog post?
Bottom line is that, oh, you get the point.


1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to get what you needed and get on the mend! Now I've *seen proof! :) Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete