Friday, August 03, 2012

EMT to the Rescue


It had been 2 years since Glenn and I were casually walking the trail between Bear Lake and Bierstadt Lake back on the early crisp Autumn Day.  That was when I fell and broke my ankle.  I knew instantly that I couldn't put any weight on it.  I scooted off to the side of the trail and we called 911.  Miraculously, there was a cell phone signal and the phone connected to the dispatcher who then transferred us to the National Park Service.

  To read more about my journey - click here.

Since we were in Estes Park again, I wanted to personally thank these guys.  Glenn and I took Thursday afternoon to drive into the Park again and present the photo to the head Ranger.  Only 1 guy was still working there.  However, he was not there as he was out on yet another "rescue mission". 
 Bill {one the left}


Since Bill was out, I left a bag of coffee and a thank you note for him.  I had my picture taken with the current park ranger.

Again, I'm thankful for the the hours it took for the guys to find us, and "cart me off the mountain".
Bill emailed me a nice note:
Judy,

Thanks for your visit and the gift of coffee. I’m sorry to have missed you and Glenn…, wouldn’t ya know…, I was out on yet another mission when you stopped by.

Of the 4 of us in the photo, I am the only one still working at RMNP. 

Glad to see you up and about again. Great photos of your “hardware” posted on your blog. 18 years ago I had a similar experience, but they were able to remove the two screws holding my bones together after 10 weeks in a cast. Still…, the road to walking without crutches, cane, limp or pain is long and, at times.., uncertain.

stay safe,
Bill Alexander
U.S. Park Ranger #2555

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete