Tuesday, October 06, 2009

My Aunt

Alma Kate Marr

She was 99 years old and she lived a good life. She was more like a grandmother to me. Although she walked with a limp, she never complained. She was loved by many.

My memories of Aunt Dick are:

Easter Basket
Going back to my earliest recollection of my childhood, as a child growing up, we never believed or participated in the Easter Bunny, however, Aunt Dick would bring 4 Easter Baskets over to our house Saturday night before Easter, each basket filled with lots of candy, small toys and Easter Eggs.

Birthday Cake
I also remember her taking me for the weekend back when I was in 6th grade and I stayed in her little garage apartment and she helped me bake a surprise birthday cake for my mother. She probably didn't think much of it, but I sure enjoyed my time with her.

Trips to the "country"
I also remember Aunt Dick would drive "down home" religiously every other Sunday morning and return Sunday evening after visiting with Grandmother Marr in the "old folks home". She didn't complain as she did it out of respect and love for her mom.

Best Chicken and Cornbread Dressing
Aunt Dick is best know for her cooking. She made the best cornbread dressing. She always said it wasn't good, but everyone else didn't complain. Besides cornbread dressing, she loved making pound cakes and banana pudding.

Although Aunt Dick wasn't even 5 feet tall, she was very tall in my eyes. She was born with a dislocated hip and always walked with a limp, kind of like a penguin. She had the smallest feet for an adult that I've ever seen. Amazing what you remember. We will miss her but are thankful for the 99 years she had on this earth. And we look forward to seeing her someday again. "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through".

My Aunt died peacefully in her sleep on Sunday morning, October 4th. This is a day of celebrations. It was my baby brother's 49th birthday, my 40th Spiritual birthday and my aunt is having a birthday party in heaven. Monday, we buried her.

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment