Monday, July 06, 2009

Karen and "The Ragged 'Ol Flag"




Back in the day, before the Internet and Cable TV, I had video taped a PBS production of Johnny Cash's performance of "The Ragged 'Ol Flag". Karen played the VHS tape over and over again, and memorized the whole poem. Some words she didn't know what she was saying, but memorized it anyway.

She performed it at the annual American Embassy sponsored 4th of July picnic in Santa Cruz, Bolivia held at the American Co-Op School. I believe this was in 1994 when Karen was in 4th grade, at age 10. Does anybody remember this event when Karen recited the poem?

I feel more patriotic while living overseas as an American. Its just something in me that makes me especially proud to be an American when I'm not surrounded by Americans and when I don't have the opportunity to live in the US.

Happy Independence Day.

Judy
(my video file was too large, so I couldn't post the entire recitation. Sorry that it is incomplete and a bit late).

Thank you Karen for giving me permission to "brag" on your performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment