Friday, November 09, 2018

Grandmommy visits Aunt Hattie


Recently we drove down to Austin, TX to take my parents to visit Aunt Hattie.

Aunt Hattie and my grandmother, Polly, are sisters.  Polly (my grandmother) was 22 years old and pregnant with my mom when Aunt Hattie was born.  So, my mother and Aunt Hattie grew up as sisters, but really they were Aunt and Niece, about the same age.  Now they are 90 years old (Aunt Hattie) and 89 (Mom), who will soon be 90 in January.

When we arrived at her Austin apartment, we were greeted with open arms by Aunt Hattie.  She promptly sat down and asked if she could give us instructions on how to finish our lunch meal that she was beginning to prepare.  

Long story short - I had never made Fried Chicken in my entire life.  I have always been fearful of frying anything.  But with careful instructions we spiced up the chicken and it was a success.

Our nephew, Kyle, drove up 1/2 hour to Austin to have lunch with us and enjoy the conversations.

Some more photos:

I'm so thankful that we could take a quick 12 hour trip down I-35 and visit Mom's aunt.  Although mom didn't do much talking, it was fun to hear Aunt Hattie's stories of times when she and mom would spend out in the cotton field or playing dolls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment