Thursday, April 19, 2018

Azmera Haven Ladies Retreat

I had the honor and privilege to attend an Azmera (African word that means harvest) Haven Retreat. It is a non-profit organization with the goal of nurturing and impacting cross-cultural global workers already in the harvest field, so that they can serve to their fullest potential and remain faithful to their calling overseas.

In years past, I have attended several other retreats that are very similar in the goal of refreshing the missionary ladies on the field.  The timing was perfect.  It was just what I needed.

 A rest, with reflection, rejuvenation and reconnecting.


How do I begin to thank the 25 ladies from the United States who flew down to Costa Rica and donated their time and expertise to share their faith with us all?

Thank you!  
No, a BIG THANK YOU!

 




I got a new hair cut, styled.  I went swimming in the resort pool.  On Friday night we all walked into a Birthday Party for us.  Each table was totally decorated, balloons, and lit candles on individual birthday cup cakes.  We opened birthday presents and told memorable birthday party experiences.   I got up early every morning to watch the sun rise off in the distance as I looked out into the Pacific Ocean (Southern coast in Costa Rica:).  I had a massage and a pedicure (with blue neon toenail polish, because I want to be a hip Grammie).

selfie with Shirley who cut and styled my hair


I had the opportunity to reconnect with gals my age, those who have served 20+ years and those who have just arrived on the field within the past few years - each with their different experiences, challenges and struggles.  Besides the intentional times where we had worship and praise, we had small group times.


One of the things I like best is to connect with ladies.  Boom!  You live in Pagosa Springs, Colorado?  Then you must know Anne?  Boom!  Made a connection.  Oh, you are from Colleyville, Texas?  Then you must know Shelly?  Boom!  Another connection.  No way, you have been to Bolivia?  Then you must know Dorothy, Virginia and even Beverly?  Boom!  Made another one.  Then the most remarkable one, Priscilla, one of the volunteers, came up to me and asked if we were supported by Reinhardt Bible Church back in the day?  Sure enough, she remembered our name/face from the missionary rooster!  Boom!  Then I said "You must know my daughter Ellen, from Denver Seminary?"  Boom!  It works both ways. 


 You know I am the happiest when I can make connections and figure out where our paths have crossed before or where you know someone that we know!  That's my happy place.

Want to know more about this wonderful organization?
  Azmera.  Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment