Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Sandwich Years

This has definitely been a "sandwich season" for Glenn and myself.  We find our selves jumping between jobs as we enjoy the later years of my folks and Glenn's step-mom and also appreciate the youthfulness of seeing our grandkids- thus we are sandwiched in between those 2 generations.  
The old and the young.

I cherish the precious moments I have to spend with my parents.  I enjoy shopping and cooking for them as well as just being with them.  We were able to spend Thanksgiving Day with Mom and Dad and Christmas Day too.


 We had 3/4 of the Marr family together on Christmas Day.  (Sherrie was in Colorado).  And Meredith represented the 12 grandchildren that my parents have.
Marr family Selfie

As I think about my responsibility, as a daughter, mother and grandmother, the roles keep changing.  As a daughter, I enjoy going back to 9511 frequently to help my dad as he is the sole care-giver for my mom.  My mom has been suffering from Alzheimer's or memory loss for several years now.  I have been grieving for her each time I see her.  Besides losing weight, she has no memory of what happened yesterday.  Yet, she'll remember things from her school years, working in the cotton fields and meeting my dad on her 13th birthday.  

To put it in perspective, last week, she said, "Judy, is it 2008?"  I promptly said, "No, mom, it is 2015.  Where have you been these past few years?"  She tries to remember people's names and important dates, but that is becoming more and more challenging for her.  
But there is one thing that she does have.  And that is a smile on her face.  I love my mom.

Now, the day after Christmas, Glenn and I flew to Nicaragua to visit Ellen and Luke and the 3 grand-kids.  My role has changed.  I'm the mother now.  And I'm the Grammie.  However, I'm not the mother to the g'kids.  I have to step back and think and not to say too much.  But I do enjoy hearing the kids in the morning say "Grammie, Get up.  I want to play with you!"


x

David, 4 1/2 years old, loves anything about Batman, Superman and Lego's.  He loves to color within the lines and likes to watch and read about Thomas the Train.  He can easily mix up Spanish words within his English sentences.  His favorite Christmas present from Grammie and GrandDad was a "garage sale bargain" of Work-zone vest, hard hat, protective glasses and other tools.  My heart jumps for joy each time he asks me to repeat something by saying "What you said?"


I have enjoyed rolling Emily's hair up at night with the pink sponge curlers just like I would do with Ellen when she was this age.  And she didn't even complain about sleeping in them at night.  Emily turns 3 in February.


15 month old Lucy is a sweetie.  She goes with the flow.  She never complains, yet when she does, it is quick and loud and only because she has a need.  She loves me to hug her and sing to her.  She's a good sleeper.

Again, Glenn and I are sandwiched between the 87 year old parents at one end that we love dearly and count it a privilege to call them our parents, and then on the other end, we have our 3 grandkids that bless our hearts.  We are thrilled that we do not have the sole responsibility for these sweeties and that we are having a good 4 day visit.  We are tired and yet are encouraged to be around our g'kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment