Wednesday, May 27, 2015

My Aunt Hattie


Over Memorial Day weekend, Glenn and I drove down to Austin with my parents, with the purpose of getting my mother together with her Aunt.  Aunt Hattie is just 11 months older than my mom, so although she is her Aunt, they are more like cousins.

Because of age, they have not gotten together much recently.  However, they do talk on the phone at least once a week.

My heart jumped as we sat there in her den and reminisced over 'kin-folks'.  They talked about working in the cotton fields as young people.  They mentioned Uncle Bud, Polly and other names that are close to them.  We asked them about times of growing up in East Texas.

My heart was heavy when we had to say good-bye to Aunt Hattie.  Mom, sitting in the back seat of the car, with tears flowing down her cheeks, said, "That is going to be the last time I will see Hattie Lee."
  I guess at age 86, anytime can be the 'last time'.

Although mom's short term memory is not good, she still has lots of good early memories, is fond of her early life and has strong feelings.



No comments:

Post a Comment