Monday, May 13, 2013

Old Friends

A wonderful couple - Eldon and Ramona

Recently, we received notice that Eldon passed away. 

My memories
As a student at Moody Bible Institute in the late 70's, I looked up the local NAB church and called the secretary.  The Schroeders immediately said that they would pick me up "under the arch" at 8:00am.  That was the first time I met them.  I invited my classmate, Kathy to join me also.  We had Sunday lunch (normally roast with rice potatoes, Yum) with the Schroeders and they drove us back to Moody later that afternoon.  Eldon was then pastor of Foster Avenue Baptist Church.

I spent many a afternoons in their home.  I became involved with the church youth/college age group.  I remember spending my first Thanksgiving holiday away from home in their home.  This was also the first time I experienced my first Chicago snow fall.  Fun!

Fast forward.....
25 years later, as Ellen was a student at Moody, she took the train out to the Schroeder's house and spent the weekend with them too. They hosted Ellen many times and even attended her concerts when we were not around. 

The Schroeders gave me a Guest Book as a wedding gift.  And because I would sign their guestbook numerous times as a college student, I instituted my own "dreaded, ya gotta sign my guest book, before you leave now!".

Eldon has blessed our family with his slow-moving walk (never in a hurry), his quick humor and his love for his gold fish pond and nature.  He would show us his urban garden in his back yard, point out the birds in the area and describe each room full of their depression glass collection in the family den.

We appreciate the Schroeders over the many years.  We are thankful how they were a blessing to me as a Moody student and then with Ellen.

  Eldon, you will be missed.
~J

1 comment:

  1. Oh Judy...WELL SAID!! Thank you for sharing your memories with us!! He will be so missed!!!

    ReplyDelete