Monday, April 15, 2013

Monday means Beans and Rice

Back in the 80's and 90's, we had a family tradition that I would fix
Beans and Rice for dinner
 (normally on Mondays)

Since we as a family of 5 were pretty much busy with weekend activities living in Bolivia, it was just simple for me to rely on the crock pot to make my beans each Monday morning.


We also had a tradition that Glenn would give me 100.00 a week for grocery money.  And any left over money, I would tuck it away in my little "Travel Fund".  So, it made sense for me to cook beans and rice to save a few pennies.

I think my kids learned to love beans and rice.



My adult kids have now asked me for the recipe.  There is no recipe.  I just cover the red beans in water and cook in the crockpot on high for 4 -5 hours or on slow for 8 - 10 hours.  I then shake in some Chili powder, black pepper and salt.


It's Monday. 
 Guess what Glenn and I are having for dinner tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment