Monday, December 17, 2007



MONDAY, DECEMBER 17

Saturday evening, Gary flew from DFW to GUA. He was one of the last one to board the airplane. And before Gary turned his cell phone off, he called me here in Guatemala and said "Mom, what are the chances that Don Stackpole could be my pilot tonight?" I said "no way!" Then I heard in the back ground the spanish version of the flight attendants giving their "spill" about safety and all and I heard the flight attendant say "Don Stackpole as captain!"

I then encouraged Gary to give a note to the flight attendant to let Don know he was on the plane. Gary said "ohhh, no, Mom!"

The flight arrived around 9:30pm, however, Gary didn't come through immigrations for another 45 minutes. He just had his backpack and carry-on luggage with him.

At the new International Terminal at the Guatemala Airport, everyone and their brothers were there to meet someone off the flight. It was like a maze to try to get through the crowds and find who you are looking for. My neighbor, Kelly, told me that she was out at the airport the other day and she saw a car, not a van, that had 15 people get out of it. Amazing.

We did connect with Don as he was getting on his airport shuttle to the hotel where the crew stays. We told him that after we get Gary, we'ld come over and visit with him. We visited with Don at the local McDonalds (Gary was hungry) for some time. I told Don that the next time he works the DFW-GUA leg, I'ld fix him my Mexican Caserolle.

We first met Don through Cameron Hitchcock about 15 years ago when he flew down to Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Don would often come and eat a meal at our house, we would often times include another missionary family too. On his long layover in Bolivia, Don and Glenn would play raquetball.

Small world? No big family.

Judy
email judy.stewart@scbbs-bo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment