Saturday, February 25, 2006





Visit to active Volcano

Friday, Glenn and I boarded the multicolored school bus with the 11th and 12th graders from NCA for their field trip. A day on an active volcano, called Messiah. There are 3 volcanoes in this general area. The volcanos are located 45 minute drive from the capitol city of Managua. As we entered the National park, we drove another 20 minutes to the parking lot on the side of the active volcanoe. We saw old lava flows from previous eruptions all along the mountain side.

When we got off the bus, we walked to the side of the volcano and could see some steam rise up. Fortunately, the wind was blowing the right direction and we didn't smell the sulfur fumes too badly. Then we walked another 3/4 km to a cave. Armed with yellow hard hats and all, we treked down to the cave that is created by a volcanic eruption and flow in the late 1800s. It was quite dark and our footing was a challenge. Our guide had a dimly lite flashlight which made it even more challenging. I kept wispering in my heart, "thy word is a Lamp unto my Feet and and Light unto my path".

At one point, we all turned off the flashnights. It was pitched BLACK. Then silence. We listened to the noise of the volcano. This was very erie. I enjoyed the cave adventure, but it was a challenge for a 49 year old women. Steep walk to the cave entrance and then a challenging climb through the rocks and into the cave.

This is something I can definately cross off on my 1,000 "Things to do before I die" List.






No comments:

Post a Comment